LiFEsports UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP
The Ohio State University (OSU) Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Inquiry (OUR&CI) and OSU LiFEsports Initiative are seeking undergraduate students to be a part of an interdisciplinary team assisting with research and evaluation of LiFEsports Summer Camp and Youth Leadership Academy. LiFEsports is a sport-based youth development initiative housed at OSU (http://www.osulifesports.org/about/). Through an established University partnership among the College of Social Work, Department of Athletics, Department of Recreational Sports, OSU Extension, and other units/departments on campus, LiFEsports aims to: "Enhance the quality of youth development, sport, and recreational programs through service and outreach, teaching and learning, and research, thereby increasing positive developmental outcomes for youth." Read about the exciting LiFEsports research Ellen Williams conducted as an undergraduate (Ellen LiFEsports).
Specifically, we are seeking OSU undergraduates who:
- desire to be a part of an interdisciplinary team assisting with research and evaluation of LiFEsports Summer Camp and Youth Leadership Academy (www.lifesports.osu.edu).
- are interested in obtaining hands-on research learning experience involving data collection, data entry and management, and basic data analyses.
- are available to devote:
- 10-15 hours per week to the project during April-May and July-October, 2019.
- 25-38 hours per week to the project from June 10-July 12, 2019.
The OSU undergraduate must:
- be enrolled as a full-time student during Spring 2019 and Autumn 2019 semesters.
- be in good academic standing at the time of application.
- have previously not received funding (e.g., research grants, salaried research position) to support their involvement in a research or creative project.
Part 1: Student Application Components and Submission Process
1. Personal Statement (maximum of 1 single-spaced page): Write a personal statement that tells the story of who you are and where you hope to go in the future.
2. LiFEsports Mission Narrative (maximum of 1 single-spaced page): How does LiFEsports' mission align with your personal and professional goals? How will your involvement on the LiFEsports interdisciplinary research team help prepare you for your future? Why would you like to engage in research with underserved populations, particularly youth and their families from urban communities?
3. Current résumé
4. Professional Reference List: Provide names and contact information for 3 professional (e.g., OSU faculty member, OSU academic advisor) references.
5. OSU Advising Report
The application window closes on Monday, February 18, 2019 at 5:00 pm.
Part 2: In-Person Interviews
Finalists will be selected and notified by February 25, 2019. Finalists be will be invited to partake in one-on-one interviews with OUR&CI and LiFEsports staff.
- Students will be paid $12.00 for each hour he/she is engaged in LiFEsports research activities.
- The maximum funding award is $5520.