IMAGES OF RESEARCH + ARTS COMPETITION
What is the Images of Research + Arts Competition?
The Images of Research + Arts Competition is an interdisciplinary exhibit competition. Organized by the Office of Student Academic Success- Undergraduate Research & Creative Inquiry, the competition will showcase the breadth and diversity of research and artistic endeavors undertaken by OSU undergraduates. We invite OSU undergraduates to capture, describe, and share the crux of their research or artistic endeavors using one still image.
Who is eligible to participate in the Images of Research + Arts Competition?
All OSU undergraduates enrolled during Spring Semester, 2019 are eligible to participate.
What are the submission guidelines for the Images of Research + Arts Competition?
Each undergraduate researcher:
- is limited to one submission.
- attests that his/her image is his/her original work (creator of the image).
- agrees that if his/her image is selected for display at the 2019 Spring Undergraduate Research Festival, his/her name and submission may be used for promotional and publicity purposes.
What is the submission process for the Images of Research + Arts Competition?
Students must submit their materials via the on-line platform available here.
The submission deadline is February 18, 2019 at 5:00pm. No extensions will be granted.
The following information is required:
- A title with a maximum of 250 characters. The best titles are short and simply stated.
- A 100-200 word narrative that clearly articulates the connection between the image and your research or creative endeavor. The narrative should be written in plain language (i.e., free of discipline-specific jargon) and understandable to those outside of the student's field.
- Images must be 300dpi at an approximate minimum size of 2000-3000 pixels. Images must be saved in JPEG format. Images must also be in landscape format. Please provide the best quality image possible.
What is the evaluation process for the Images of Research + Arts Competition?
The evaluation process includes two distinct phases.
Phase One Evaluation:
A multidisciplinary panel of OSU faculty, staff, students, and alumni will evaluate all submissions on the following criteria:
- connections between title, image, written narrative, and research
- originality of the images and the research or creative endeavor it represents
- overall visual impact of the image
Phase Two Evaluation:
- Phase One finalist submissions will be printed, mounted, and displayed at the Spring Undergraduate Research Festival on March 26, 2019 in the Ohio Union.
- Each Spring Undergraduate Research Festival student presenter will be encouraged to review each image, accompanying title, and narrative. He/She will receive a ballot in which he/she will identify his/her top choice.
Where can I find information about similar events?
Events similar to the Images of Research + Arts Competition are held throughout the United States and Canada. We encourage you to visit the following websites for additional information:
University of Illinois–Chicago: http://grad.uic.edu/image-research-exhibit
University of Kansas: https://lib.ku.edu/ior/history
Congratulations to our 2018 Spring Winners!
First Place: Victoria Piper, "Banished from Eden"
Second Place: Rachel McLaughlin, "Pollinators"
Third Place: Taylor Dittrich, "Clashing Waves"